Oyster farmers face lots of operational challenges:
- Constantly changing conditions makes traditional farm practices increasingly harder to do because:
- Managing on-water operations from shore is difficult without visibility of activities and conditions
- Workers are isolated on-water and communication is limited
- Disconnected operations undermine efficient operations
- Climate change effects are having a compounding effect on the rate of change and challenging traditional farming practices
- Growing importance and need to meet Occupational Health and Safety, and environmental compliance obligations require more effort
- Need to be responsive to market needs – not just oysters but competition from other seafood products
SmartOysters farmers experience higher levels of productivity by providing:
- Workers with the right information, at the right place, and at the right time – information that practice-based and delivered on-water.
- Managers with the right information, at the right time – actionable in real-time – “being connected”
- A solution that does not not disrupt farm activities and operations – workers generate information in the process of doing their jobs data
- More efficient and effective farm management, resulting in lower overheads and/or greater operational scale capabilities.
- ….Knowing what to do when you need to do it
Sense and Response Farming
SmartOysters’ key advantage is the ability to practice “Sense and Respond” farming, by having the right information, at the right time, in the right place.
Sense and Respond farming delivers the following benefits:
- Lower oyster mortality by being able to take the right action, at the right time, and in the right place in response to changing conditions and unexpected events.
- Lower Marine fouling events
- Higher quality production through more consistent and adaptive farm practices.